Wednesday, June 30, 2010

New Grants and Scholarships for Veteran's Dependents.

There are numerous grants for dependents and survivors of veterans and service members.

Federal Pell Grants are given in full to dependents of veterans who died in Iraq or Afghanistan after 9-11. This means no matter what financial situation this student has, the will get the full amount, which at the moment is $5,550. Other students must meet other requirements. You need to fill out a FAFSA, and then let your college financial aid office know that you are under the special circumstances given to students whose parent died in Iraq or Afghanistan. There is no question or line on the FAFSA to get this grant in full. You cannot get a double Pell Grant. If you qualify anyway for it, you cannot get another using this eligibility.

There is also the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship. This extends the Post 9-11 GI Bill to children of fallen soldiers.

Public Law 111-32, the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship, amends the Post-9/11 GI Bill (chapter 33) to include the children of service members who die in the line of duty after September 10, 2001. The benefit is retroactively effective to August 1, 2009; the same day the Post-9/11 GI Bill took effect. Eligible children attending school may receive up to the highest public, in-state, undergraduate tuition and fees, plus a monthly living allowance and books and supplies stipend under this program.

Who is eligible: Children of an active duty member of the Armed Forces who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001, are eligible for this benefit. A child may be married or over 23 and still be eligible.

>College Money, Financial Aid, Student Loans, Consolidation, Scholarships.

>Military Scholarships

>VA Veterans Home Loans