Wednesday, December 30, 2015

National Parks Free Annual Pass for Current US Military and Dependents

There is perhaps no better freebie than the one from the government giving you free access to National Parks. This is one that many now can take advantage of. If you are on leave, think about taking your family on a road trip to a National Park or other US recreation area.

Here are some details:

  1. What are the benefits for the Annual Pass - Military? Free admission at sites that charge entrance or standard amenity fees for one full year from the month obtained (through last day of that month).
    • Allows pass owner and accompanying passengers in a single, private, non-commercial vehicle to enter federally operated recreation sites across the country.
    • Covers the pass owner and three (3) accompanying adults age 16 and older at sites where per person entrance fees are charged. No entry fee charged for children 15 and under.
    The pass does not cover or provide a discount on expanded amenity fees such as camping, boat launch or interpretive fees.
  2. Who qualifies for the Annual Pass - Military? Current US military members and their dependents in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard, as well as most members of the US Reserves and National Guard. Proper military ID is required (CAC Card or DoD Form 1173).
  3. Can dependents of National Guard and the Reserve members acquire a pass? Dependents of deployed military members with DoD Form 1173 may obtain a pass. If the military member has not been deployed, the dependent may be the second signer on their sponsor’s pass.
  4. Are there any benefits for veterans? There is not a pass specifically for veterans; however, many veterans qualify for one of the other discount passes offered as part of our pass program.
    If you are 62 or older you qualify for a Senior Pass. You can buy a Senior Pass in person from a participating Federal recreation site or office or by mail.
    If you have a permanent disability you may qualify for an Access Pass. This is a free lifetime pass that you may obtain in person from a participating Federal recreation site or office or by mail.
  5. Where can I use my pass? Please contact a site directly if you have a question about pass acceptance and fees. The Forest Service, the National Park Service, Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management, and Bureau of Reclamation honor the Annual Pass at sites where Entrance or Standard Amenity Fee(s) are charged.
    US Army Corps of Engineers will not be issuing this pass, however they may honor it for free access at some sites. For more information contact your local US Army Corps of Engineers.
  6. How do I get my pass? You can receive your pass by presenting your Current US military ID at most Federal lands that charge an entrance fee. A list of sites that sell pass is available. Sites that issue the Annual Pass will generally also issue the free US military version as well. Please contact the Federal Land you will be visiting in advance to ensure that they have the pass available.
Start planning for next summer or your next leave!

Thursday, December 24, 2015

How the military started tracking Santa Claus

We are promoting an older post on NORAD and how they started tracking Santa. Please visit: