Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Oldest World War I Veteran Turns 109


Frank Buckles just turned 109. Frank is also the oldest World War I veteran. Well, we need to qualify that further. Frank Buckles is the only American World War I veteran still living. Quite remarkable when you think about it.

Frank Buckles was a corporal in the Army during World War I stationed in Europe. He was an ambulance driver.

Frank lives in a farmhouse in Jefferson County, West Virginia.

Frank Buckles was 16 and talked his way into the Army. Mr. Buckles also was involved in World War I. He was working for a shipping company as a civilian near the Philippines in 1942. The Japanese captured him and he was held as a prisoner for 3 years.

Frank Buckles has campaigned recently for an unrecognized piece of the National Mall to be officially recognized as a memorial to World War I veterans.

We wish him health and success in his endeavor.

>VA Veterans Home Loans

>Teacher Resources, Teaching Articles, Teaching Tips.

>College Money, Financial Aid, Student Loans, Consolidation, Scholarships.

No comments:

Post a Comment